Wednesday, January 13, 2010

14.
.
I am currently on the train to Wellington for New Years. Yet Another New Years in Wellington.
There are quite a few people on the train today and I am surrounded by a family who are just about pissing themselves with excitement about the fact that they are on the train.
Grandma just stood up and announced “I can see hay bales!” and I couldn’t help but chuckle at the enthusiasm over hay bales… When they finally came into my view I realised they weren’t even real hay bales, but large green and white plastic rounds with hay in them.
Now they are enthralled at the all the cows… and yet these people don’t seem to be from a foreign country OR another planet.
.
CHRISTMAS DAY:
Was probably the most enjoyable I’ve had in a good few years. Very relaxed, no dramas, no cousins waiting ‘til I’m wasted for the chance to fuck with my head for their own entertainment… Just Nice And Enjoyable.
I got up, drove to Masterton for Christmas at Wairarapa College Hostel – my old school where my parents now live as hostel supervisors thereby subjecting me to reliving the worst years of my life every time I go to see them – and proceeded to spend most of the day doing the following:
1. Presents.
2. Breakfast.
3. Having other family arrive.
4. More presents.
5. Lunch.
6. Dessert.
7. General lazing around and trying to ignore everyone while I read my new book
‘Life With My Sister Madonna’.
8. More food plus a few rounds of Wii.
9. More reading and eating.
10. Saying goodbye to family and thinking maybe it’s time I bugger off myself. Which I do.
I get home, laze around for a bit longer, sort my shit out, then head to my cousins to get some serious drink on.
Which I do.
And for once, there are no dramas, and we all have fun.
.
BOXING DAY:
Is my cousins birthday. Her 30th to be precise. But she’s been so rank to me lately – after I took the day off work to pick her ass up from the airport too – so I’m not feeling inclined to participate.
Instead, I go to another cousins’ – the ones I spent Christmas Day with, who have also decided not to go – and continue to get my drink on there. Well into the night.
Much later, around 1am, when me and my cousin are well pissed, we decide we’re drunk enough, and the current party is winding down enough, for us to bike round to the other party.
I don’t feel like I wanna be there, and I can tell from one glance that my bitchier cousin and her mate are in exactly the same mode that they were in the other night, so I give her a swift kiss and a “Happy Birthday” then leave not long after with my two friends that are leaving.
I’m glad to be with them, as they have pretty much been my rocks through ’09. They help me out with everything, much MUCH more than my whanau is ever willing to do for me, so we go to theirs and continue to party. Altho I do fall off my (waaaaaaaaaaay too small for me) borrowed bike and end up face first on the road with a car and a truck approaching from either way and manage to drag my ass off the road before they pass. Whoops. I now have quite an impressive bruise on my leg, but at least it’s not a mystery bruise…
We get back to their place – interesting side note: their house is my parents old house and, interestingly, it feels more like home now than it ever did – and promptly crank the music, pour the drinks, and proceed to dance.
Around 2 in the morning a bunch of 18/19 year olds visit us. They have heard our music and want to party with us. They are quite a shock as we have pretty much just had the music cranked and been dancing on the porch, and visitors are the last thing we are expecting.
I hear maybe one or two sentences from their wasted, young, dumb mouths and decide I am probably better off just keeping my mouth shut and ignoring them – they are extremely easy targets, and in my state I will slaughter them, probably to end up punched over.
I try not to laugh as they tell us we must be “so old” to own a house like this, and I wonder what exactly they think our situation is… They try to guess our “old” age and reason that we’re probably 24 or so. We all go with it. I am POSITIVE they wouldn’t have guessed 24 if they saw us in daylight, or when they’re sober, but hey, when you’re 32 and the best someone can guess is 24… Mate.
From then on I pretty much ignore them and dance and try and not hit on the particularly hot blonde one as I’m pretty sure they’re all hooked up with one another, and that would just be bad.
At some point the hot blonde girl asks us if we can score Ecstasy. I stay right out of that one, and my friends act affronted and ask “what makes you think we’re that sort of people??”
The young dumb ones apologise and start to feel stupid.
They don’t stay long and before we know it we’re – the three of us – dancing on the porch alone again. At some point I stumble home. Done and dusted.
.
ON THE 27th:
I wake up and spend most of the day on the couch reading, and finishing, my book, and it isn’t until about 4pm that I start wondering what else is going on in the world. I go round to my friends’ house, where we decide to drink again. But after a few we decide movies are the plan for tonight, so after a quick shop and dinner, we sit ourselves down to ‘The Hangover’ and ‘Star Trek’. I’ve already seen ‘Star Trek’, but my mate hasn’t and I know he’ll like it. Which he does.
A quiet day in all, but enjoyable nonetheless.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment