Friday, January 29, 2010

17.
.
NEUROTIC IN THE CITY:
The other day I discovered more than 50, count ‘em, 50 PAGES of a blog I used to write on my Myspace called ‘NEUROTIC IN THE CITY’, all about my slutty, drunken life in Welly. Mostly.
It was kinda weird to read it again. It was not so long ago, and yet it seems like a lifetime away from where I am now. It’s set around the Just After I Met The Ex period… Yikes.
Although I get the feeling about as much people read that as they do this…
I’ve been writing my life in cyberspace for over 5 years… That’s just weird.
Maybe I should change the name of this blog to ‘Neurotic in the Valley.”
.
AC/DC:
No, I didn’t go.
Nor am I jealous or bitter in the slightest...
..
Fuck off.
.
THE MARQUIS:
I have been resorting to the local pub more and more often lately, in a desperate attempt to make friends outside my whanau. It has been enjoyable, but hardly successful.
Two old gay men run this pub, and therefore I am descended on by them whenever I walk into the room. One is fine, but the other is a bit intense. This isn’t helped by the fact that he’s my neighbor.
They have been having karaoke nights at least three nights a week during the holiday season, but this has reverted to its usual two. I am stoked that just about everyone who comes to the pub on these nights LOVES it, and will usually get up and have a go. No stage fright in this town. Except from me, ironically. I have to be well on my way to drunk before I’ll get up.
Which I have.
‘Daydream Believer’ and ‘Roxanne’ are the current pickings. I’m gonna have to change that up a bit though.
In the next room, the pokies shine brightly, calling my name, telling me to come in and win the jackpot.
I never have, and never do, but if I manage to get even $20 more than what I started with, I’ll pull out before I’m spent.
I, for the first time, went to The Marquis – lovingly nicknamed The Zoo by the locals – wearing my work shirt after work yesterday. As soon as people realised that I worked in a local bar, it was like I was royalty suddenly. That was a good trick, I’m gonna have to do that more often.
The Marquis has recently been put on the market for…
One.
MILLION.
Dollars.

My boss recently commented “Who’s got the money for that.”
“Rich gay couples with no kids” was my workmates answer.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment