Thursday, July 8, 2010

36.
.
I'M IN MIAMI, BITCH!



Ok, I'm not really in Miami, nor do I have any immediate plans to go there (oh, but go there I will, one day, for sure), but I sure do feel like the stars are finally aligning for me... Here's the buzz.

Remember a while ago I posted a story on here, the tv show idea I'd ditched after being rejected by almost every television production company in the country? Yeah, you know the one.


WELL... the key word in that sentence is... 'almost'...

Last week, out of the blue, I get a letter from a woman at Great Southern productions (makers of 'The Cult')......who 1. apologises for the lengthy delay in replying to my pitch, and explains there have been some staff changes at G.S. recently and the pitch inbox had been left unchecked for a while,
2. Now that she's looked at the pitch inbox, she likes my idea and wants me to send her further material...

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh.... WHAT???

So I sit there, shitting my pants for a bit, wondering if I'm dreaming (I can tell by the inane librarian chatter in the background that I'm not), then proceed to go home and freak out for a bit, and then when I finally get it together I take a look at my treatment - the one I'd been sending out and ultimately being rejected for - and decide it's not good enough, oh my god, I have to rewrite it, FREAK OUT! (Le freak, say chic)...

After I've finally calmed down, I decide to make little adjustments to my already perfectly fine treatment, accompanied with a letter explaining that although I was excited at her interest, I was absolutely apprehensive about sending her the treatment because of said earlier rejection, but that as a writer I understand the flexibility of stories, and I was absolutely open to working on the bones of the idea to make it a reality. I also explained the reasons I'd been rejected in the past, and then how I either disagreed with it, and /or how we can work around it.

I think the biggest reason the treatment comes across as intimidating is because it has no dialogue in it, and therefore can't completely portray the kinds of humour I want embedded in the show. The humour is, of course, going to come from the characters themselves, not the outline of their storyline... with all the darkness, you gotta have some light, right? Like they say, a spoonful of sugar...


SO. Off my treatment goes, along with some scenes I spent all night working on for the purpose of portraying some of that humour that is woefully absent from the treatment.

And while I have had positive letters back saying "Got that, feel free to send whatever you want, whenever, I'm in Europe at the moment and should get round to reading it very soon", I'm basically playing the waiting game now.

...I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up, but the fact that ANYONE has paid ANY interest in my show at all, let alone after I'd practically given up on the idea in television form, is... very exciting, to say the least.


FINGERS CROSSED PEOPLE...

We may just get to live in Dark Valley yet...

.
SPAZZY:
If you're wondering why I have been so sporadic lately with my MAD SCORPION blogging, that is why. I am horribly addicted to writing scenes that will convince Great Southern I am the best thing since sliced bread and that they should make my show.
Hence, you can probably expect THE MAD SCORPION to be sporadic for a while.
...I knew you'd understand.

Can I just say, that despite being the only boy in Typing Class throughout my college years... what a fuckin genius move that was on my part! Probably the only thing I retained of the education I got from those years really... (I remember My Name, and Tongariro National Park as being the only answers I was able to give for my Geo exam... jesus...)
I don't regret it for a second. Typing probably doesn't even exist as a subject these days...
.
GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK.
Good:
In theme with the good luck I have been having lately, I was notified the other day that I won a competition on Facebook through Warner Music, and a 'HUGE, AO MADONNA POSTER' was on it's way to me.
JOY!!!
This, of course, was down to the e-mail I sent it.
They asked us to send in our details.
I sent in a rant about how much I loved Madonna and that the poster could only go to one person, that I loved it, that I loved THEM, that I HAD TO HAVE IT, GIVE IT TO ME, LOVE IT, WANT, NEED IT, etcetera, etcetera...
"With such an enthusiastic e-mail, how could we not give it you?", was their response...
Oh yeah baby, come to Papa....
Bad:
Running a few months late in my Sky bill (the reason being the bill payment place is a whole town away, and ugh.. Masterton? I don't think so...) I rejoiced when I realised I could actually set up an A.P. Technology, ay? SO, that's exactly what I did, making sure that I was paying off two months for every one. Sounds reasonable, right? WRONG. The very next week I got cut off.
So, I ring Sky credit management, and get a Total Bitch, who seems to think owing $128 is the end of the world, and that I will get my Sky back on in two months when I've paid the bill, and doesn't care that I've just set up an A.P. to take care of it. Ok, you wanna play like that lady???
ME: Will I be charged for the months that I'm disconnected while I pay this off?
BITCH LADY: No.
ME: Ok, well in a month, when I've paid that $128 off, I'll be closing my account and you've just lost a customer, goodbye!
Hang up.
Not two mintues later my phone rings again. It's Bitch Lady who, "after having a little think about it" (HA!), has decided to reconnect me, BUT SHE'LL BE KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON ME to make sure my A.P. is going through...
Yeah, yeah, whatever lady, just put my tv back on bitch.
Wa la!
... I guess that was bad and good luck.
See? Being an arsehole pays off!
Good:
I run into my dad's cousin at the pub, and his girlfriend, and her mate... it's only a two second meet and greet before we have to run off and pick up someone.
MUCH later in the night, I have a random text from my cousin's girlfriends mate, and she's interested... This is a BOOTY TEXT. Oh yeah...
For someone who loves the water and has been living in the DESERT for almost two years (Yeah, you read it right bitches, shut the hell up), this is a welcome text. Unfortunately, she's now in Greytown and it's far too late for us to hook up anyway, so we have some drunken text flirting (I don't even know what this girl looks like, FYI), and then I crash out.
BAD:
The next day, I get... thirty-seven texts from this girl. What do you do, where do you live, what are you doing, bla bla. After the first ten, I'm like... Ok, I'm over texting, I'm slightly hungover, I just wanna chill.
But no. This is not good enough. Why aren't you answering, what are you doing, where have you gone, etc etc etc... Uh oh. This isn't looking good... In fact, this is looking stalkerish.
Even later - "I'm wasted in a spa with no clothes on", "I'm horny, what are you doing?"
Normally, this is the kind of thing I'd be jumping into without a second thought... but... I can already tell that this girl is clingy and... well, YOUNG might be a good word. Way TOO young.
Even later, when I'm not answering: "What you doing, why aren't you answering". To shut her up, I answer "I have a friend staying, just gonna chill with them at home". All true.
..."I THOUGHT YOU WERE SINGLE?" "I DON'T DO ATTACHED GUYS" "SO ARE YOU SINGLE OR WHAT?" "YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING TO ME" etc etc etc etc.... for about ten texts...
Ok. This girl is crazy. End communication.
My friend commented "Next she'll be accusing you of cheating on her!"
Yep. Later freak.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on the interest!! That's fantastic. Keep on truckin' and all that. It's just a matter of time.

    And I was the only boy in my typing class too. It's a skill I wouldn't trade for the world.

    ReplyDelete