Monday, April 26, 2010

25.
.
As you can probably tell, I am writing this very sporadically these days.
I have been pushing my latest creation out to various production companies in the hopes that one of them will pick it up and turn it into a tv show. So I can finally live in the lap of luxury and buy lots of amazing massage gadgets to keep the endless pain at bay... JOY!
Here’s the 250 word “hook” I’m currently using to reel prospective producers in. Let me know what you think of it. Does it intrigue at all? Would you watch it?
…Actually, don’t answer that.

DARK VALLEY
-
A black dra-medy series set in rural, isolated, and eternally overcast Fern Valley, which lies in the shadow of Black Mountain. This shadow seems to seep into everyday lives, as though the Valley itself is cursed – the fact that it’s prone to natural disasters only adds muscle to the myth…
.
It revolves around the lives of teenager Baxter Black and his two distinctly different circles of friends – separated by class, but all of whom are girls.
One group are daughters of wealthy, locally important academics – uptight, judgmental, concerned about appearances and reputations. The other group is the polar opposite – crass, crude, creative, carefree, impulsive, and from down-to-earth, working class families.
.
While these kids live in a small, sleepy, pretty town, this is starkly contrasted by its dark, sinister conduct behind closed doors.
As they grow they are finding their once safe world a cold, dark place, and are constantly confronted with life-changing troubles – evils no-one should have to face, and with barely any parental support. In many cases, their predicaments are their parents…
.
Although the show will venture a lot into taboo, melodramatic, slightly supernatural, sometimes just impossibly unlikely territories as far as its storylines go, razor-sharp humour from protagonists and a rural, realistic setting will keep viewers grounded, connected, and not too overwhelmed by dark overtones.
.
The series begins as the characters return to the new school term and Baxter learns his lifelong friend Kate has died. Kate’s murder inquiry will turn all their worlds upside down…
.
.
.
NIGHTY NIGHT:
What a disturbing show! LOVING IT!
Only the British can pull of shit like this…
So wrong it’s Great.
Watch It.
.
COMEDY CENTRAL:
What has happened to this channel? Apart from a few gems dotted here and there, do we REALLY need an ongoing avalanche of quadruple re-runs of M*A*SH everyday??
I DON’T THINK SO.
.
OUT OF THIS WORLD:
Someone needs to make a remake of this show, don’t you agree?
If your memory is failing you (and trust me, unless you were a real TV kid like me, you really won’t remember this show, so don’t expect to), it was about a half-alien girl named Evie who talked to her father on another planet through a cube-phone and had a few amazing powers like time-freezing and materialisation. Ringing any bells?
Anyway, what an awesome concept. The actual show itself was very cheesy and low-budget, but the concept of this with today’s special effects standards would probably go off.
In fact… I’M gonna make THAT one of my projects.
… how DOES one go about rebooting someone else’s creation?...
I’m not so sure the same could be said about 'Small Wonder'… The girl robot in the red-and-white polka-dot dress who lived in her human brothers’ wardrobe?? Don’t ask. It was bad.
…I mean really… you gonna leave a pre-pubescent boy with his very own girl robot in his wardrobe every night and tell him its’ his Sister, so hands off??? Yeah… Good Luck with that one.
“Gee, her circuitry keeps getting clogged up with this… goo.”
No shit.
.
FLOWERS FROM MY GARDEN:
Last Sunday I decided to attack my overgrown flowerbed. The flowers had gone from bright pink blazing suns to looking like they were about to cough up their lungs and die from cancer. Time to go.
After I’d hacked and slashed, made it pretty and gathered the last few good flowers up, I decided I had too many and thought I would finally make good on my promise to drop in on Mrs. Goodin.
Mrs. Goodin, or Nana G as I’m instructed to call her but don’t, is my Uncle’s Wife’s Mother, or my Aunty’s mother to be more precise, and I see her a bit at family dinners and birthdays and such. She is getting on now, in her 80’s, but still very clear and onto it. The last time I saw her at one such dinner we realised we only lived round the corner from each other, and she made me promise to come and see her some time. Sure, sure, I said, and ten years ago I would never have made good on that promise, but now, as I get older and mortality really starts to set in, and if you’re someone like me who is in daily pain and can appreciate the sorts of daily pains that an old folk might be going through, I said it and meant it.
And it was with that in mind that I took the flowers, put them in a jar, and procedayseded to walk with my giant jar of pink flowers down the road, hoping it wasn’t going to be one of those days when everyone I know drives past me at once.
Mrs. G was home, I had a cup of tea and ate all her biscuits, and actually had a great afternoon with her! She can talk, but I found I was actually extremely interested in what she had to say. It was probably the first time I’d had an actual conversation with her that didn’t revolve around “Oh you’re home, where are you living these days, are you still in Wellington, what did you get for Christmas”… THOSE conversations. The automatic ones where you exchange required info quickly and then dive away.
She had very similar ideas to me on Politics and Religion, which REALLY surprised me. The woman basically believed in Karma, that the government was evil, that war was a horrible tragedy on mankind, etc etc. She certainly wasn’t the fascist racist old biddy that most white old woman around these parts tend to be.
In fact, I was there for about an hour and a half having an intelligent conversation about Politics, Religion and The Afterlife, which I have to admit, are very rare conversation topics in my life these days. I had a blast! And many sugary biscuits, which was great cause I was out of food that day. Yeah, actually out of food. I had to have just plain RICE for dinner that night, which I haven’t had to do in a REEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLY long time, but which, surprisingly, didn’t bother me all that much! Not that I’d want to do that every night, but… hey, some kids don’t eat at all, right?
But the issue of why half the world is obese and the other half is starving is a WHOLE other story…
After the visit I went to my work and mentioned my elderly visit with my workmate, who then joked
"Gee, TRYNA get into everyone's will!"
HA!!!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment